Thursday 18 August 2016

In the dead of the night




Image stolen from
As I lay there in the blackness in the grips of 3am anxiety-induced insomnia, I realise that my teeth are clenched so tight that my jaw is aching. I just want something, anything to release me from this mental prison. Suddenly I hear a patter down the hallway and I feel a little person jump into the bed behind me, it’s my daughter. “I love you Mummy, SOOOOOO much” she says sleepily snuggling up to me. I hug her tightly, “I love you too sweetheart”

Her unexpected presence is enough to jerk me out of the trappings of my own mind and I am thankful to be in that moment, warm and safe in my bed with my husband snoring softly beside us. I look at my beautiful daughter in the darkness somewhat envious of her innocence and I hope so badly that she will never have to fight the same inner demons as I do.

1 comment:

  1. Kate, this is adorable and moving at the same time.

    ReplyDelete