Sunday 4 September 2016

Sunday Songs of Nostalgia - Nirvana


 So in the late 90's (my mid teens) my best friends were a group of outcasts, we lived and breathed music, we formed bands held gigs debated lyrical meanings and spent our weekends singing at the top of our lungs on my friend Toms back porch until the wee hours of the morning.
His neighbors were amazing, they never complained. 

Bands that defined us at the time included The Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana and Bob Dylan. Tom was really into skateboarding and he was desperate to teach me, but I was overweight and uncoordinated so no amount of showing me how to 'Olly' could prevent the death wobbles down the hill near Toms house.

Whenever I hear Nirvana songs these days I think of those moments on (and falling off) the skateboard and in our mates music room, leaning up against the huge amplifier next to the drum kit while playing the bass guitar riff of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" at full volume.

Ahh those were the carefree moments of my youth where nothing mattered but the music vibrating through your soul, my favourite Nirvana song ironically was "Lithium" - when I listen to that song now the words make so much more sense!

For your listening pleasure I have put both "Lithium" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" below so you can get your grunge on with me!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment